Tuesday, March 30, 2010

THE BAND PLAYS ON

Ownership of a horse is no simple thing. My naivete set me on a path to yet another adventurous learning experience. Jumping in as quickly as I had opened the door for the unexpected. The fence I installed was lacking in rigidity, so Mahina oft times found her way up many roads. She would just go on her own merry way. There were ever so many more delightful places to graze. The cane grass that at first covered the ground in my makeshift corral, she tromped down with ease. The phone would ring in the night and a neighbor would inform me of her whereabouts. Riding was something else. I never did get the control issue down. The fact of the matter was she took me places that were of her choosing. One sunny weekend day we went on one of these outings. I waved at Mr Toma as we passed his station. He shook his head in disbelief. Down Haiku Road, through the gulch, we stopped at her will for bites of this or that. Out ahead of us the sound of Rock n Roll music could be heard. Mahina must have liked that for she led us to the music's whereabouts. A small house sat on this end of road piece of land. Behind the house was a shed roofed garage with a group of musicians jamming away..... electric sounds blared from large speakers....many of them. The only person not playing swayed and shuffled about in front of a mixing board. This long haired, bare bellied person grabbed hold of a microphone........WHOOOOO ARE YOU?.....followed by a drum beat hit me square in the face. I dismounted and walked a little timidly towards him and the others. My name is Charles. "I heard the music.......HAVE A BEER.....tie that horse over there.... Before day was out I held a microphone and was singing, dancing, smoking joints .... These guys in the band would become good friends and our musical escapades would be stuff of future stories ....ROCK ON!!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment