Friday, June 11, 2010

"She doesn't speak English"

Hannes was flying to Germany on business. I had called another Austrian I had met windsurfing on Maui and we arranged to meet one another in Vienna. "Let me talk to Hannes." "Hello. Yes but of course. I leave at ten twenty this morning. No problem." Hannes handed me the phone. "Okay Christian, I will see you then. Goodbye." "Charles I will see you in Hawaii in a couple of months. I will call you. That is the place there on the corner. You got everything?" "Yes I do. Thanks for your hospitality. Aloha Hannes." "It was good seeing you. I need to run. Aloha!" I walked across the street and sat at a table outside waiting for Christian.
 "Was werden Sie mit Sir?" "A coffee please." "Ahh, you speak English. where are you from?" "Me....I live in Hawaii." "Oh I hear that is most beautiful place. I think one day I must go there." A sudden jerk to the back of my chair followed by "So here you are in Austria" brought me to my feet. "Yes I am here. Christian, how are you." "Me? It is all good. There are no waves here!" He arched his shoulders upward, squinted his eyes and tilted his head with a questioning effect, then settled into the chair on the opposite side of the table. "You ordered?" "A coffee." "Oh, okay." His eyes rooled over to the waiter..."Noch einen Kaffee und zwei Scholkoladen-Kuchen. I've ordered you a cake as well. It is special to our country. You shall try. So really what brings you here?" "You know Peter." "Of course... the Swizzer!" "He invited me so what the hell. I've not been before and it has been great." "Good. And you caught me at a nice time. Tomorrow I have in mind a small road trip. You, I think will like this. I show you our Alps." The waiter set the coffees and two pieces of dark chocolate cake on the table. "It is very good, the best, try it." "Hum... that is good, not as sweet as I would have thought. Excellent." We sat there and talked a bit about what I had seen and a little about Maui and windsurfing. "Come we go to my aunt's place."He opened the passenger door of the Porche and pulled the seat forward. "Throw your bag back there. You have only that small bag?" "I travel light. A couple of pairs of jeans, a few shirts and toothbrush does me fine." Christian turned the key in the ignition, threw it into first gear and we roared off. He drove so very fast. I was somewhat ill at ease but said nothing except "nice car". "It is fun!" Three quarters of an hour of blurred images finally brought us to our destination. 
Christian hurriedly introduced me to his aunt who had opened the door. "Gretha das ist mien Freund Charles. She speaks no English." The stout smiling woman took my bag and walked flicking her hand as to make sure I'd follow, which I did. She laid my bag at the foot of the bed, sheepishly smiled, turned and walked towards the back of the house. "Charles I have to run over to my office. I will be back in an hour or so. Gretha is preparing some sandwiches for you. Come out back." I followed him into the back yard where there was a wrought iron table and chairs, a tranquil fountain and flowering plants both trellised and potted. "Make yourself at home. Here is something to pass the time." He placed a bottle of wine and a corkscrew on the table. "Okay see you soon." "Thanks man!" His car roared off as Gretha appeared with a tray of sandwiches. "Thank you...Danke." She smiled once again. I pulled out one of the chairs and with hand suggestion offered her to sit. She shook her head no and returned to the interior of her house.
It was delightful outside. The sandwich was quite good and the wine was very satisfying as well. I had just lit a cigarette when Gretha appeared at the table again beckoning me to follow. Inside the kitchen she picked up the phone from the counter and handed it to me..."Christian." "Charles, I thought I'd be back already but a patient has made a last minute appointment. I am sorry but I must see him. I'll be by in the morning early. Gretha knows and she will wake you. Sorry gotta go...Just relax and I'll be there in the morning. Bye Charles." I put the phone down, bowed towards Gretha and walked back to the patio. I finished the wine and smoked a few cigarettes. I then walked around the neighborhood for a while. Upon returning I entered the house through the back door and found Gretha sitting in the living room. She was listening to classical music. She and I mostly exchanged smiles. She reminded me of my grandmother. She pushed herself upward and out of the overstuffed chair. From a cabinet she withdrew a bottle of schnapps. She filled two glasses, handing me one. Once again seated in her chair she saluted me and I returned the gesture. We laughed and drank. This continued for a while with my refilling her glass then mine. She showed me pictures, both those in frames and others in albums as we now sat together on the couch. She placed a little finger food on the table fronting the couch. We picked, sipped, and simply laughed. We both found comfort being there. I enjoyed her very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment