Tuesday, June 1, 2010

UP-UP-& AWAY

It was a rose colored morning. The slight chill was refreshing. Shrugging off the idea of further sleep I joined my hosts at the breakfast table. "Good morning Charles. Did you sleep well? "I really did Tess." "Coffee? It is your Hawaiian brand. We love it so. We save it for special occasions like this. And you must try the nutella."It is nice on toast." I tried some. It was indeed quite nice. "What is it made of?" Kate said, "it's made from hazelnuts. It is typical here in Switzerland." "Hum...very good." "My parents have a little chalet in the mountain. We shall take you there today." Stini raised his index upward and proceeded with, "Ya, wunderbar!...You vil like." The proud smile assured me I would indeed. After we had finished the breakfast Stini beckoned that I follow him. From an outdoor rack he retrieved a pair of hiking boots and presented them to me. "You try." I did and to my surprise they fit quite well. He gave the thumbs up, "Gut!"
Kate bought tickets for the cable car that would take up to the  top of the mountain. "Oh Kate let me pay for those." "Oh no my parents would be insulted. It is their treat." "Whatever you say." This was my first time riding in such a car. The scenery was amazing as we glided high above the ground below. We made our trek along a winding path. The Alps cast their ominous presence all around us in every direction. To my utter amazement within an hour we were approaching a rather large logged building. It was in fact a hotel restaurant here in the middle of nowhere. A waiter brought us to a table on the outside deck that jutted out beyond the craggy ede of the mountain. A panoramic view of breathtaking proportion before us. I saw no roads. "Kate how in the world do they get everything here?" "Helicopter." "Wow! This is unreal." We continued with what had now become ritual and had a glorious meal and great wine. Again Kate's parents insisted on paying. We continued our walk through meadow and rock formations. Now and then Stini would suddenly stop and wave me to his side as he would point out large mushrooms that were growing in the rock crevices. He would tug them from their spots and place them in his backpack. "Very Gut!" It was I'd say about two miles farther and we arrived at a compound of small Log cabins. Stini led the way to number 9 where he unlocked the front door. "Geben Sie meine Kabne." "He said enter my cabin." I got the cabin part Kate...Understanding a bit more now." It was charming inside. A small everything room fronting a washroom and bunk room. Kate's folks had bought this place when Stini had retired. He was very proud of the place, and well he should have been. I spent most of the day wandering about taking in the magnificent vistas. We had a simple dinner that of course included some mushrooms. Wine was included at no additional charge. The night got cold but the wood burning stove keep us comfortable. Millions of stars shined down upon us as we fell asleep beneath down comforters.       

No comments:

Post a Comment