Tuesday, April 20, 2010

MAUI MAGIC

Behind a rather tall wooden fence of reclaimed boards number 9 Noholani was reborn. A main house, studio and tree house nested in a jungled garden of color, scents and tropical fruits. The puddled street remained as such. Friends, lovers there danced night and days. My precious La Rue, a standard poodle lovingly placed her head upon my futon as I would sleep and happily ride in the truck bed. It is with great pleasure I recall that place and those times.
A hot and windy summer day, I received a call from a fellow with yodeling English. He was responding to my ad in the Maui News, house for rent. I had fallen in love and moved into her place up in Kula. Rue and I drove to the Haiku post office to meet the caller. There in the parking lot were Peter and girlfriend Kate sitting on the hood of their Maui Rent-a-Wreck. Piled high atop were  boards, multi colored bags and long fiberglass poles. Wind Surfing was new to our island and these Swiss adventurers were amongst the first arrivals. Maui's north shore was destined in short order to become the wind surfing Mecca. With no hesitation Kate handed me a cash deposit. We agreed to meet again next day, when after cashing travelers' checks, they would give me the rest of the money for their six month stay at Noholani. They insisted that it was not out of their way to drive up to Kula. Next day, mid morning, they arrived. We invited them in for coffee. Kate gave me the rental money. Together we enjoyed the panoramic view and got more acquainted...."Charles, we love the Haiku place....Peter has something else for you." "Hey man, come outside with me." He reached atop the car and removed a board, bag, boom and mast. He laid them there in the driveway. "You will meet us this afternoon at Sprecks." "Hey what is this?" "It is my gift for you, Charles." "I can't accept that." He picked it all up and tied it to my truck's lumber rack. Kate and peter jumped into their car and just drove away. "See you about three o'clock he shouted". My girlfriend who was standing in the doorway smiled and said, "Why Not!"
Sprecks was a picture of rainbow sails racing upon the ocean.
That afternoon, Peter rigged my new toy, and within days I was actually out there digging it. The gift would alter my life once again. La Rue would run the beach and swim the shore as I raced upon the wave faces of the blue Pacific.  Peter sent streams of Euros to my doorstep. To this very day we are close friends.        

No comments:

Post a Comment