Wednesday, April 28, 2010

With visions of expansion I drove towards Lahaina. Honoapiilani Hwy. snakes along the West Maui mountains. Stretches of white sand beaches greet you once you pass through the only tunnel. Coconut trees dot the shoreline. Olowalu is a sleepy outpost village with a gas station/convenience store---dusty cans along its shelves. A quaint and unexpected French Bistro , Chez Paul, also is there. Front Street, in Lahaina town greets you with a giant banyan tree fronting the harbor and the remnants of a bygone jail. Pioneer Inn stands just beyond. Hippie types and assorted leather tanned men of the sea wander about. Sam the Parrot-man is propped in front of the Yacht Club, colored feathers in a mound around his feet, and this molting bird clinging to his shoulder. Near the western end of the historic street is a thatched stand that smells like sesame oil and sells paper cones of Chow Fun. I made a stop, ordering one large. An Hawaiian Punch washed down my snack. The Hoganji temple sits catty-corner. Incense smoke drifted out into the street. Mala Wharf, a slight drive ahead, announces the Lahaina Cannery.  Across the road, ocean front, is a strand of wooden buildings. Here at the very first of these structures, I am to meet up with Wally. The sun-baked man is there standing on the porch wearing only shorts. He gave me a tour through the place and I rented it in quick order. My newest salon would be here, The view is bouncing vessels at their buoys, . Kaanapali construction had just begun and wealthy mainlanders were having walled compounds built. This growth had brought me over here. My neighbor tenant was a ruddy, balding fellow who always seemed to have a cocktail glass in his hand. Frank McPhearson's shingle out front read...Architect. I took to hammering out my salon. Frank would step over to view my design. He suggested I add to his deck so we might adjoin our spaces for sunset cocktails. His place consisted of a large drafting table and his signature bar. He was from Sausalito, California. His brother, who still lived there was an engineer. Between the two of them, they were producing plans for that new Kaanapali, world-class set newly arrived. Frank lived in his office. A clever Murphy Bed was incorporated into the space. Having an eye for the ladies, he expressed his excitement for the upcoming salon. In fact we did have our moments with women who would enjoy the scene upon our veranda. His clients would drift over to my place. It became so that  both Frank and I got invited to the same,  Villa warmings. Mainly though, we shared cocktails and verbal tales. A couple of years later the grand scheme of things kicked in. Our hideaway was to be transformed. Frank took his show on the road. Along the way he married a sweet local gal. They would live on project sites and supervise till completion . Monuments  would grow around them. My phone would ring and Keinani would ask me to dinner...."Frank wants you to come." It was always marble floors and expansive views. It was cocktails with sunset at Kula 200, Maui Meadows, Wailea, etc. "Next is just down the road" he would say. "You're gonna love it!... Salute........great sunset."
       

No comments:

Post a Comment