Saturday, April 10, 2010

My chance encounter now took me along a surreal jungle path. Daylight was slipping into dusk. Baba Chick and Paul led me along in a westerly direction. The ditch that we were walking beside, they told me had been built many years ago by Chinese laborers so as to bring the water resource of the eastern rain forest to the dry central valley for sugar cultivation. Tunnels and flues traversed the mountainous terrain. Ferns, fragrant ginger, both white and yellow, giant eucalyptus grew vigorously all about us. Ten minutes and we had moved beyond the jungle canopy into a clearing and the road. Across on the makai ( ocean ) side giant golden bamboo swayed in the evening breeze. Cloistered behind this grove was the humble dwelling they called home. Chickens scattered every which way with the sounds of our approaching foot steps. Surrounding the abode was a truly explosive canvas of flowers, vines, ground coverings; sensational fragrances drifting. What a dizzying surprise. I stayed long into that night exchanging partial stories. My gracious hosts bid me fond aloha as I left. Walking along the darkened road back to my vehicle all the day replayed in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment