Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Olivia was a disc jockey at the KAOI radio station that broadcast from the Maui News building up behind Maui Memorial Hospital in Wailuku. She was a tall blondewith a model's bearing, and a Mid Western, pure, purring voice. She was also one of my clients. She sported my short cut with self assumed presence. Calling, to make an appointment for her monthly scissoring, asked my receptionist if she might talk with me. "It's Olivia, she wants a word with you." "Olivia, how are you, what's up?" "My husband and I are having a get together at our place Saturday night. I want to invite you." I jotted down her address, and accepted. "K...see ya then." I pulled up to the white plantation style house in Haliimaile. It was the end house on the street, with a great view over the pineapple fields below. There were quite a few cars parked along the road. With a bottle of wine in hand, I walked forward and into the carport where a Harley tilted upon its kickstand. Olivia was standing there at the top of the stairs. "So glad you could make it, come on in." I placed the wine in her hand and followed into the living room. With introductions made to other guests, she moved me onto a tattooed, tank-topped fellow with a dark beard, and said, "Charles, this is Edwardo, my husband." His firm handshake was quickly followed by a Budweiser, and from another direction a passed on joint. The mix of people was diverse, and included a lawyer, his wife, a female veterinary,Paul, another radio guy I happened to know, , and others. Edwardo however, stood squarely out. We got to talking out on the deck. He was from Seattle, and had ran with Hell's Angels. He and Olivia seems the odd couple, but their affection, in the course of the evening was displayed with numerous hugs and kisses. "I really dig how you do O's hair." "Thanks...I really like your bike outside." "Yeah, she's a sexy beast too", his reply. "I know what your wife does...what about you Edwardo?" "Just call me Zag; I do pin-striping. Come on I'll show you. There's a car out back I just finished." He removed the tarp, exposing this '57 Chevy with really very impressive fine line embellishments and flames adorning the hood. "Crazy good, man!" We then shifted to his office, tucked in the back corner of the carport. Large pencil drawings, nudes and Brethren portraits adorned walls and ceiling. A cigar box lay on his desk and from it he withdrew this big fat Cola. The heavy smell of Maryjane filled the small space. He packed his scrimshaw pipe, lit it, and handed it to me. Almost immediately the high enveloped me, whole body. "Shit, this is incredible!" The time, the colors, the movements all changed as we rejoined the party within. In time, as I got to know him better, and he, me, a friendship would develop. I would drop him off at a spot atop Piiholo Road a little past midnight. Dressed in fatigues, miner's head lamp, blackened face, with two duffel bags, Zag would disappear int Waihou Spring Forest Reserve. Before dawn I would pick him up down Olinda Road. We would unload the stuffed bags into this secret room back at his house. It was there that I would trim the Buds. I got to keep the Shake that fell upon the floor. I had smoke for years.
Zag and I also went to Life Drawing at Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center in Makawoa.
Olivia continued sending out listener requests over Maui Radio Airways. "And this one is dedicated to the one I love...'til tomorrow...Good Nite."   

No comments:

Post a Comment