Sunday, May 30, 2010

Meet The Folks

Touring through the Alps with my Swiss friends Peter and Kate was indeed seeing a part of Europe that one would  never see as a tourist. I had met them in Hawaii my home and now I was in their home. On Maui I had met Kate's parents.  We drove north from Lake Garda  heading for a region of Switzerland called Uri. It is in central Switzerland where the Reuss river flows. As with the rest of this small country the mountains are the backdrop to everything.

"I met Kate in high school. She lived in Erstfeld and I in a smaller town. but not so far. My father worked for the railroad. Stini, you met him. He worked as an engineer. I know Kate's parents thought she could have done better then me." "Oh Peter that is not so." "Yeah sure! Anyway my folks' place is not far from here."
The house sat on a gentle hill. It had red shutters and a gabled roof. It was old and not very fancy. The railway tracks ran along the back property line. Peter's father and mom were older then I had imagined. They did not speak much English. We acknowledged each other mostly with smiles and nodding heads. Peter's dad was thin and bore the appearance of years of hard work. His mother grasped the arm of her son with a sense of affirmation that he had done well. Peter showed me his childhood room. The valley and distant mountain pass were the view out the window, with a scarred wooden desk in front of it. All told it was a simple, honest place. Peter was now finishing architecture school. We had a nice lunch. Kate remained inside helping with dishes as Peter and I walked to a place where we sat amongst some wild flowers. "I like being in Zurick. There was nothing ever much to do here." "Well my friend I'll tell you this beats the hell out of the Bronx where I was raised." "Ahh well it was okay. I know Kate wants to get to Erstfeld. Stini and Tess are looking forward to seeing you again." "Whatever Peter. I like it here. It is relaxed and your folks are nice." Peter's father was sitting at a table alongside the house. He waved us over and handed each of us a beer. He smiled and we clicked our bottles. Gravel crunched beneath our tires as we waved goodbye. Nothing much was said as we drove through town in the valley below. The setting became more orderly with fenced properties and newer looking homes. Kate's parents bubbled as we entered their home. Stini, Kate's dad slapped my back as if an old lost friend had arrived. Tess gave me kisses upon both cheeks. "Oh sit! Kathy give me a hand." They entered the kicthen and before long we were all seated around the dining table with all sorts of appetizers and several bottles of wine. Peter however did not sit with us. He was standing next to my chair. "Charles I am going back to Zurick. I'll see you in a couple of days." There wasn't that usual smile on his face. Tess said "oh we need to take some photos". We went outside and Kate's brother who had been outside doing something or other appeared. "This is Charles, Thomas." We shook hands. Tess handed him a camera and he took several photos of Kate, Tess, Peter and I.
"See yeah later", Peter said. He hopped into the Volkswagen and drove off. I had this feeling that things were not quite right. I was only a guest and said nothing. Stini kind of halfheartedly waved as Peter drove away.
"Zoe we shall have more wine!" We had moved to an outside terrace and more food and drink was brought to the table.           

No comments:

Post a Comment