Saturday, May 15, 2010

YEAR OF THE DRAGON

I Had just returned from Safeway. Mr Ling was outside busily loading a U-haul moving van. "Charley." "Yes Jimmy." "Can you lend me a hand?" "Certainly." "See that dragon up there? I need to get it down and put in the truck." This large colorful thing was up in the rafters. A dragon head hung downward and some clawed feet dangled over one side. I had seen such a thing dancing down Chinatown streets in New York, firecrackers exploding at its sides as it snaked along. I climbed over assorted boxes and other stuff and managed to get myself up there with the beast. It took some doing, trying not to rip it, but we managed to get it down safely and stuff it into the awaiting vehicle. "Anything else?" "Oh yeah that wedding carriage there." In the next half hour we managed to stuff an assortment of unusual things into the van. It was crammed full. "Where are you taking all of this?" "Downtown Charley. To my museum." "Really, you got a museum downtown?" "It's a long story, but I just got this building donated to me and I am opening my Hawaiian Chinese Museum." "That sounds interesting." "It's great, a whole building on King Street. I've been putting it out there for some time and this Japanese guy up and donated it for my use. Can you believe that?" "Well you must be excited." "Oh I am. I've got more things in storage at other places. Wanna go with me and have a look?" "Sure. I'll run up with my groceries and be back in a jiffy." Jim and I drove downtown and pulled in front of this four story building. He backed into a loading area along side and we got out. A couple of men were there waiting at the front entrance. "Charley this is Fred, and this is Tommy." I shook hands with each of them. Jim unlocked the door. "Well here it is!" we all walked in and Jimmy showed us around. The building had an elevator. We rode up to each floor and looked about. Jimmy was all smiles and was saying what he had in mind for each floor. I made a couple of suggestions and he acknowledged them with approval. "You got some very good ideas Charley." We unloaded the truck's contents piling them on the ground floor. When his pals had left we talked a bit more about his vision. Again I offered some ideas. "I like your ideas." Over the next week together we made order out of Jim's collection. Chinese lanterns hung outside and a sign reading HAWAIIAN CHINESE MUSEUM  was affixed to the plate glass window from within. I attended the the museums blessing / grand opening celebration. Mr Ling's smile beamed over the leis that went from his shoulders to his bottom lip. "Congratulations  Jimmy." "Thanks Charley." Two days afterward Jim knocked at my door.   "Charley, I got this idea." "What's that Jim? Come in." "I like your paintings." He had seen them before. I had quite a few hanging on my walls. "I'm glad you like them. I try." "Don't be modest they are good. So, look. you know that basement area at the museum?' "Yes." "Well I think you should do a gallery there. What yah say?" "Mr Ling I couldn't afford that sort of space." "Who mentioned money? If you want it you can have it. When you make some money let's say you make a donation." "You're joking?" He smiled. We shook hands. "You're somethin' else!" "Hey the sun is settin'. how bout we have our cocktail out front?" "Gan Bei!...Cheers!"
Just like that @theunderground was born...my very own gallery in downtown Honolulu.   

No comments:

Post a Comment