Wednesday, May 26, 2010

MEINE FREUNDE


I was indeed tired but excited as I boarded the train in Paris. It had been some time since I had last seen Peter. We had shared so many good times in Hawaii. Now I was about to experience his Switzerland. The train pulled from the station and quickly accelerated. The countryside of France whizzed by. I snacked on bread and cheese. The red wine washed it down and also sent me into dreamland. Before I knew it my destination, Zurick. I stepped out upon the station platform and in a few short minutes Peter was standing before me. "It is so good to see you." His girlfriend Kate rushed from behind him and threw her arms around me. "Oh Charles, you are here. Peter and I are so thrilled. How was your trip?" "It was long but here I am. It is great seeing you two." Peter grabbed my bag. "Okay, we go to my car."
    Peter put my bag in his Volkswagon front hood/trunk. Kate said,"you sit in front with Peter." We pulled out and wove our way through the streets of Zurick. It was ten thirty and I saw the night vision of this ancient yet modern city. Lake Zurick glistened in the moonlight as we headed towards Oberrieden, the town where my friends had their apartment. We climbed one flight and entered their place. It was all white and had bare wooden floors. "Welcome to our home. Your room is over here." Kate led me to it. Peter was opening a bottle of wine as we returned to the living room. He handed me a glass and another to Kate. "Salute." It was so good to see them. We shared some conversation and finished the wine. "I know how tired you must be Charles." "Hate to admit it but yes I really am." "Well meine freunde, guten nacht...schlafen gut!" Peter and Kate walked me to my bedroom. "Okay, thanks for everything. See you in the morning." I fell directly asleep.
Morning arrived with the smell of coffee brewing. "Good morning Kate. Where is Peter?" "Oh he had some things to do at his office. He shall be back shortly. Did you sleep well?" "Yes, I really did. Sorry I was so tired last night." "Don't be silly, that was such a long travel for you. It always takes us so many days to return to normal when we come home from Hawaii. We know all about it." "Well I feel great now." "Charles we have everything planned. It is going to be so much fun." "It already is. Great seeing you." We shared coffee. The view outside was amazing. Earthen colored tiled roofs and flower boxes hung outside windows. Peter walked in and said, "Okay we are  going to have a blast." I had no idea where we were headed but I knew it would be great. We threw our bags into the Bug and drove into the Alps.

No comments:

Post a Comment