Thursday, May 27, 2010

ZURICH TO CUDREFIN

Switzerland is this place of lofty mountains jutting high into the heavens with green valley hamlets caressing clear deep lakes. The roadways straddle the majestic Alps and continue through abundant tunnels. The engineering is a wonder of man's achievement. Crisp air rushes into the Volkswagen as we drive from Zurick towards Cudrefin, a small town that hugs a vast lake named Neuchatel, the name of city on the other side.

 "My cousin has a lovely place in Cudrefin Charles. We are to meet Sally and her husband George in Aarau for lunch. Peter and I love this place and we think you will as well." "I am already loving everything. These highways are amazing." "You know my father worked on these tunnels. He is an engineer." "Extraordinary!" At about noon we could see Aarau. 
 We moved into the old town. Peter pointed out the eaves of the buildings. "We call them Dachhimmel. Quite lovely, don't you think?" "Wonderful, yes."
 This was a charming old town. "I hope you like this restaurant" Kate said as we walked towards the entrance. Sally and George were already there and we joined them at their table in the outdoor courtyard.



Kate introduced me to them. "We finally get to meet Mr. Hawaii." "It is my pleasure to meet you too. It is nice of you to have invited me to your place in....sorry I forgot the name." "Cudrefin", Peter reminded me. "Our pleasure" said George. "We should order. The cutlets here are amazing. Here have some wine." He was right the cutlet was great and the wine was especially good. It was indeed a lovely place. Everyone was warm and entertaining. We finished our lunch and I caught the check. "My treat." We then returned to the Alpian Way and headed to Cudrefin. It was dark when we arrived. The house was quite nice and we talked way into the night. George retrieved bottles of wine from his cellar. "Oh you must try this one!" By time I passed out upon the couch in the living room we had gone through fourteen bottles of wine. I think it was the Schnapse that put me over the edge.





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment