Saturday, May 22, 2010

DOUBLE FEATURE

Music and singing are two things that set souls of men on a journey beyond the ground they walk upon. Even those who never attain perfection in their voices find release from the weight of their thoughts by the action of singing. Doing so in a shower helps a great deal. As a kid I found the rebound effects of the tiled subway walls helpful... Anyway, that is an aside to a couple of my Oahu evenings.
At the gallery, it came to pass that the art professor from UH did call me. We agreed to a showing of his work. His art was edgy and abstract. Upon the walls he hung the most unusual of things. As a viewer would pass these objects emitted electronic sounds.The skateboards with fencing masks made rolling wheel and clashing sword sounds. The rubber frogs ribbited before forestry photos. The guy was beyond clever. He also placed a kaleidoscope of vintage musical enhancers around the gallery. There were old tubed things and a painted phonograph horn. A group of musicians rounded out the lot. They performed playing both modern instruments and others handmade. An older Hawaiian man alternately chanted then blew airy sounds with his nose flute while seated in a wheelchair. This was dysfunctional performance art that somehow worked. The gallery audience was drawn into the avant garde show. I sang spontaneous words concocted in wine soaked mind sets. Reflecting upon it later, it was not unlike my first acid trip.




 












At the Kee'hi clubhouse one night after the monthly meeting Lionel, Wilson, Fuzzy and I sat at our round table consuming beers. Lionel began his acapella rendition of Blue Moon.
Blue moon, you saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own
Blue moon, you knew just what I was there for,
You heard me saying a prayer for,
Someone I could care for
"Beer?"....."Thought you'd never ask."
And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will ever hold
heard someone whisper please adore me
And when I looked the Moon had turned to gold

Blue moon 
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own.
The big man had transformed into Elvis, sitting and filling a chair. One could see those sideburns and pronounced hip movement even though there were none... "Beer?" I turned my back, gathered the "thought you'd never ask" beers from the cooler and returned to a round table of backyard players with barnyard instruments and a ukulele. Lionel held the uke, Fuzzy sat at a washtub bass, and Wilson had a washboard on his knee. I passed the beer out and somehow a harmonica attached itself to my hand. Tiny Bubbles went on to the line So here's to the shining sea...Fingers pointed at me. I closed my eyes and sang the song into the harmonica. It actually sounded okay......."Right on!" the tune continued with more beer passing and lots of laughter. 
There's an island across the sea
Beautiful Kaua'i, beautiful Kaua'i
And its calling...........
 














Lionel's chair slid sideways and he crashed to the ground. Everyone tried to help him up. There was no moving him. Someone grabbed a pillow from the shed. "Okay guys I think I'll go sleep on my boat." A virtual wet dream ensued. I misjudged my step to the boat and fell in the drink. Curled in the back of my boat along with a pounding headache the sun awakened me. "I'd best coffee myself!" It was a long jangled ride home to Nuuanu. A shower, then bed untill evening ransacked the entire day. Twilight was too bright. Forgetting dinner I passed onto the bed one more time."God! How do professional singers and musicians ever catch an ordinary moment?"  

No comments:

Post a Comment