Tuesday, May 25, 2010

SOMEWHERE BEYOND THE SEA...EUROPE CALLS TO ME

"Hello." "Aloha, Charles." It was my Swiss friend Peter on the phone. "I'm calling to invite you to Switzerland." "What?" "Yes, I want you to come over here. I am not able to go to Hawaii this summer, so you come here." "Oh, Peter I can't afford that." "Yes you can...I have all these miles that I need to use. If I don't I will lose them. So you will use them, quite simple." We went back and forth, me saying no, he saying yes. "I insist! We will have a great time." I finally gave in to his insistence. Two weeks later I boarded a flight out of Honolulu. The itinerary included two layovers, first Dallas, Texas then Raleigh, North Carolina. Thirty two hours after leaving Honolulu I landed in Paris.
It was 4PM and I was to catch Bullet Train, TGV#9297, leaving Paris est at 5:54PM, arriving Zurick at 10:54PM. I walked to a little shop where I purchased a bottle of red wine, a loaf of crispy bread and some cheese. Seated by a fountain, I watched people stroll about, a policeman direct traffic and the flight of pigeons. The wine tasted superb. The bread and cheese were tres bon. I bought a second bottle of the same wine and crossed the boulevard making my way to the train. I was here in Europe....La joie de vivre!!!!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment